Skip to content

Orecchiette.

September 29, 2012

Garlic Fried Tomato Orecchiette with Arugula

Sometimes one must devour copious amounts of pasta tossed with tons of garlic, greens, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and maybe even some sautéed anchovy. Would you agree? I would. Pasta is my thing!

In July I had the pleasure of being greeted by Gourmet Live for a feature. In it, I was asked to share a description of my “go-to” easy dinner. This recipe pretty much sums up my response.

With a plate of orecchiette like this, the process is full. I’m methodic in heating the pan, watching the slivered garlic fry to shrivels in the pool of olive oil, and in giving the little shapes their proper pan sauce. I use my eyes, taste along the way, and get it exactly to where it needs to be. Every bit emulsified, seasoned, and delicious as I can make it. With starchy pasta water, baby tomatoes, fresh herbs, greens, cheese, and lemon, it all just works.

Naturally speaking of a comforting dish here, leads me to looking ahead at our coming months in the kitchen. Truly can’t wait to see what everyone will be creating.

Currently, so happy for October.

Garlic Fried Tomato Orecchiette with Arugula

Serves 4

1/3 – 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (so important it’s great quality, certified extra virgin is the only way to go. Koroneiki, Arbosana, or Arbequina olive varietals are excellent for this)

1 bulb garlic, (6-7 large cloves) thinly sliced

1/2 tb crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

2 – 3 pints cherry tomatoes, halved, if small enough leave whole

1 – 1/2 tb kosher salt

1/2 – 3/4 pound orecchiette pasta

1/2 cup salted pasta water (It’s key to a serious pasta! Pasta water is added to help olive oil sauce emulsify and adhere to pasta)

3/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated

1 bunch arugula, heaping

zest of 1/2 lemon

kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste

Garnish: For Serving

+ basil leaves, top with more arugula, add splash of lemon juice, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with parmesan

Bring a large pot of moderately salted water to a boil.

In a large sauté pan on medium-high heat, add the olive oil and let heat until it’s shimmering in the pan. Add the sliced garlic and fry until the pieces begin to cook through and shrivel around the edges. Just before they are about to brown, act quick, and add sliced cherry tomatoes to the pan. – You want to hear the greatest sizzling sound of your life. Next, give mixture a toss, ensuring the hot garlic oil is adhering to and frying tomatoes. Next, add crushed red pepper flakes (optional) and let simmer on low for about 4-6 minutes.

In the meantime, once pot of salted water is at a full rolling boil, drop in the orecchiette pasta and cook for about 7-8 minutes until al dente. Remove pasta from water and drop into pan of tomatoes and garlic. On low to medium heat, toss until pasta has been evenly coated. Add pasta water to mixture, this will help the sauce emulsify and loosen up while adhering to the pasta. Next, add 1/2 cup of parmigiano-reggiano cheese and stir. Sauce should be truly emulsified with cheese addition. Take sauté pan off heat, and gently fold in 1/2 bunch of arugula, it should just slightly melt and wilt against pasta. Add lemon zest and stir. Taste for seasonings, adjusting salt, pepper, and zest. Portion out pasta on plates, ensuring equal parts tomato and orecchiette.

Garnish each dish with the remaining arugula and cheese, fresh basil leaves, add a splash of lemon juice over greens if desired, and finish with a light drizzle of olive oil.

Enjoy.

21 Comments leave one →
  1. September 29, 2012 11:58 am

I will always go for pasta, and I love that last photo of the generous heaping of tomatoes and arugula atop the orecchiette! Here in Colorado, I get the feeling this may be the last weekend for tomatoes at the farmer’s market, so I picked up as many as I could carry. :)

2. londonbakes permalink
    September 29, 2012 12:40 pm

I completely adore the way you write recipes, I feel like I’m there with you watching you cook and greedily waiting to dive into a bowl of this pasta. Love.

3. September 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Oh man, look at those little tiny tomatoes stuck in the orechiette “ears.” I can’t even take it. Beautiful as always.

4. September 29, 2012 2:31 pm

My mouth is just watering at the sight of this! Looks absolutely delicious!

5. September 30, 2012 1:51 am

On a trip to Puglia a couple of years ago I ate orechiette practically every day – they serve it with grated salted hard ricotta which is absolutely heavenly. Rocket also featured heavily, as it does in your recipe, which looks utterly incredible. Like Kathryn says, I feel like I’m right there in the kitchen with you.

• October 1, 2012 10:52 pm

Sounds like it was a fabulous trip. Man. You’re right about that, I adore ricotta salata also-heaven. It’s amazing with eggplant, Pasta Alla Norma! Thanks.

6. September 30, 2012 10:10 am

I adore that I can see your cute cut-offs in that last shot! xoxo

7. Kate permalink
    October 1, 2012 6:40 pm

Good gracious, that’s beautiful pasta. I want to dive in with a fork. Hope you’re doing well, Miss Sarah B.

8. October 2, 2012 10:09 pm

Heavens, look at those colours! Beautiful pictures and recipe. Thank you for sharing. Kate from http://www.fingerforkknife.wordpress.com

9. October 3, 2012 1:07 pm

Lovely as always, Ms. Sarah B. And congrats on the feature! {awesome!}

10. October 8, 2012 9:08 pm

Sounds like a perfect meal to me! The beauty of pasta + tomatoes + garlic + some greens cannot be beat. Hope you are well lady! xo

11. October 17, 2012 8:20 am

Beautiful photos. Now you have made me hungry. Pasta for breakfast?

12. October 26, 2012 8:16 pm

Found your blog via Pinterest and couldn’t resist making this with the last of our market’s tomatoes. Thank you! It was delicious!! (And judging by my multiple helpings – very addictive.) Arugula was sold out so I bought some micro arugula (baby arugula shoots) which worked well, and were beautiful. Can’t wait to make this again next year!

13. November 11, 2012 10:26 am

This looks so delicious!

14. Bergie Bandy permalink
    February 4, 2013 6:57 pm

I never cook hubby does it all. Tonight I prepared this beautiful dish. My personal gourmet chef LOVED it. I did get a bit behind thinking the pasta would be quicker. I purchased a very good quality from Italy it took approximately 35 minutes to cook. Having said that the results were fairly impressive. The paring of lemon, arugula, basil and a dash of red pepper flakes (home grown N Mexico 64) a great meal!!!! Loved it and really pleasing to look at.

15. July 29, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks for a great recipe! This was delicious!!

Trackbacks