Skip to content

A few persimmon salads

January 9, 2013
Persimmon-Caprese-Edit
 Persimmon and Burrata Caprese with a Sour Lemon Apricot Relish,
Pepita Seeds, Salt, and Olio Nuovo.
Persimmons-and-Lemons-1-2
Persimmons-and-Burrata-1
Pickled-Persimmons-and-Radishes

“There is a story of a woman running away from tigers. She runs and runs and the tigers are getting closer and closer. When she comes to the edge of a cliff, she sees some vines there, so she climbs down and holds on to the vines. Looking down, she sees that there are tigers below her as well. She then notices that a mouse is gnawing away at the vine to which she is clinging. She also sees a beautiful little bunch of strawberries close to her, growing out of a clump of grass. She looks up and she looks down. She looks at the mouse. Then she just takes a strawberry, puts it in her mouth, and enjoys it thoroughly. Tigers above, tigers below. This is actually the predicament that we are always in, in terms of our birth and death. Each moment is just what it is. It might be the only moment of our life; it might be the only strawberry we’ll ever eat. We could get depressed about it, or we could finally appreciate it and delight in the preciousness of every single moment of our life.”

Pema Chödrön

Persimmons
Pickled-Persimmon,-Radish,-and-Arugula-Salad
 Pickled Persimmon Salad
with Arugula, Radishes, and Manchego

Recipes to come.
Happy January.

14 Comments leave one →
  1. January 18, 2013 10:30 am

This is the perfect thing to read as the weekend draws near. Persimmons are so magical to me, and your salads look so beautiful. Happy January!

2. January 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Great story and photos. We should be more like the lady picking the strawberry and enjoy the journey however long or short it is.

3. January 18, 2013 5:27 pm

girl, I needed this so badly. I have been putting them with granola and tried them in scones but I needed some fresh ideas. So perfect. Thanks so much! Beautiful photos.

4. January 19, 2013 8:39 am

I just recently tasted persimmons for the first time, and love them! These recipes look absolutely delicious

5. January 20, 2013 8:19 am

I am always looking for persimmons recipes. Your photo’s are so artistic. I love this post.

6. January 21, 2013 9:19 am

Love that you quoted Pema Chodron, and such a fantastic quote of hers at that :) So much good inspiration here, Sarah. Love, love, love.

7. January 25, 2013 10:39 am

Wonderful, luminous salad !! Thanks for sharing.

8. February 5, 2013 7:16 pm

Beautiful. I needed those words.

9. February 7, 2013 10:29 am

Such beautiful pictures! The salad sounds delicious! :)

10. February 10, 2013 12:04 pm

That passage gave me chills, Ms. Sarah B. Lovely as ever.

11. March 1, 2013 11:42 am

This’s the first time I visit your blog and I found it really amazing. Beautiful work of photography indeed. Congratulations ;)

12. ohmyfoodnessblog permalink
    March 9, 2013 1:22 am

Lovely post, I love persimmons so I will try it next season. And just out of curiosity – isn’t that little sack of salt in the first pic is from Slovenia? :)

13. August 4, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Sarah,
    wow, what an amazing blog you have here! I just discovered your site through the Food & Wine Digital Awards (I’m also amongst the 12 recipients). So glad I found you here, I will definitely follow you now!
    Happy cooking & styling!