Skip to content

Octopus Salad : Roasted Tomato. Potato. Red Onion. Celery. Garlic. Sea Salt Capers. Lemon. Chili Oil

March 15, 2012

Just a week ago at around 11:30 on a Wednesday night, I started thinking about Octopus. My idea for my next post and recipe was so engrossing, and the urge to set out for some cute little suction cups was setting in with a power. So the next day I made it happen. I found myself in 66 degree weather, my mood was electric, with good reason don’t you think? :) And this day was just beginning to be a special one, this air was just breathtaking. I really do cherish it most when it’s super refreshing like that.

So as this beautiful start to my day was picking up, there was no way I was making the mission happen in a quick subway ride away. No. I made sure I enjoyed this feeling in a pleasant stroll worth a long and solid ten avenues. And I arrived at a very special market here in NYC. The Lobster Place.

This company not only supplies some the greatest quality seafood at wholesale to best name restaurants in nyc, but it also holds a very busy retail store inside The Chelsea Market. It’s not just about their lobster here, they offer the widest selection of fish, prepared sushi, chowders, and specialty frozen products that I have seen in a New York seafood market and it’s also one of the few places that sells sushi grade fish in the city. Super plus plus. Talk about absolute godsend.

So here we are. Octopus, the cutest little legs ever!

My most favorite way to enjoy them is in some form of a salad. Here, I slowly cooked the baby octopus in seasoned simmering water for about an hour until tender, let them cool in their own liquid, sliced, and then tossed these little tentacles in a salad with savory and spicy pieces of red onion, baby potatoes, celery, sea salt capers, and roasted cherry tomatoes. It was carried by a combination of good olive and chili oils, crunchy garlic pieces, chopped parsley, and lemon juice. The octopus was perfectly tender and it’s accompaniments were divine. I wanted it to scream from the East.

It did. Straight up Mediterranean.

Hope everyone has just been fabulous lately of course..

Cheers. sb

-Recipe will be up shortly.

24 Comments leave one →
  1. thefauxmartha permalink
    March 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Your photography skills are mad good! Please teach me your ways. Sincerely, Melissa.

2. March 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! I LOVE eating tentacles, and it totally grosses my husband out. :) This meal is perfect for the warm weather we’re having at the moment, and I think chili oil, or some sautĂ©ed chorizo and the resulting oil drizzled over is perfect.

• March 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Jess- hahaa! that grosses your husband out? they’re too good, oh man! he’s missing out! Thank you :)

3. March 15, 2012 7:02 pm

YUM…. MUST EAT NOW

4. March 16, 2012 2:24 am

I am utterly in love with your blog and recipes :-) This is my absolute favourite kind of food – fresh, fishy and full of flavour and colour. Octopus is so hard to get right, but when it is, it’s just the most delicious thing.

5. March 16, 2012 11:45 am

Great post! This dish looks divine! And what a great spot to buy your seafood! I really enjoy your blog and photography. :)

6. Kate permalink
    March 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Those photos of octopus are unreal! Stellar work, Sarah B.

7. March 18, 2012 2:56 pm

gorgeous! I LOVE eating tentacles, reminds me of the restaurants in Greece

8. March 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Those are the most adorable little tentacles I’ve ever seen. I love all the colors and swirls in the dish. It’s gorgeous.

9. March 18, 2012 6:40 pm

This looks amazing! Great job of making octopus look so appetizing, I’ll definitely be trying this.

10. March 19, 2012 10:17 am

I love that you described your mood as ‘electric.’ I adore octopus–especially baby octopus! Those photos are just stunning. If I lived anywhere near that store, I would go there ALL THE TIME. Can’t wait for the recipe!

11. March 19, 2012 6:34 pm

What a beautiful salad. And the trip was obviously worth it. Gorgeous light and shots.

12. March 20, 2012 8:08 pm

I must admit I’m a tad bit squeemish about octopus, but your photos are absolutely *lovely*. They look adorable in that salad – I can’t stop looking. {I love your space here.}

13. Kelsey permalink
    March 20, 2012 10:34 pm

These photos are stunning! And I do agree, they have the cutest legs ever.

14. March 22, 2012 9:44 pm

I love what you’ve done with this octopus – the contrasting colors, the textures, the photography – it’s all amazing! I am featuring this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup (with a link-back and attribution), but please let me know if you have any objections. It’s a pleasure following your creations…

15. March 25, 2012 11:14 pm

I just discovered your blog via Pinterest. I am so happy I did. I will coming back for more!

16. March 29, 2012 9:54 am

Those little suckers are so appealing, aren’t they? I’m usually lured by squid, but seeing those little octopus tentacles has definitely charmed me and piqued my interest. And the luscious, deflated cherry tomatoes…well, they just about made my knees buckle.

17. Maryanne permalink
    May 2, 2012 9:19 am

This looks beautiful and delicious! Will you post the recipe soon?

18. June 23, 2012 12:40 pm

I’m seconding that last comment: may we please see the recipe?
    Lovely work. Thanks for the inspiration.

19. June 29, 2012 10:39 am

I would like to make this tomorrow. Can you please tell us what the water is seasoned with???? Thanks

20. jen laceda permalink
    July 24, 2012 6:51 am

I had a really excellent baby octopus dish (grilled) in Barcelona’s La Boqueria. It was so good that we went back there 3x during a 5-day stay! That was the only place we keep going back to. You know it is cooked well when the octopus is tender, and the sauce, well-balanced. Yours look absolutely amazing! It makes me want to cook octopus NOW (or lick my screen)!