Skip to content

Heirloom Tomato, Basil, Mayo Sandwiches and a Refreshing Blackberry Lemonade Lager

August 18, 2011

Sometimes it doesn’t take much to throw together something incredibly and classically delicious.

Heirloom tomatoes, basil, and mayonnaise on sandwich bread. And of course, a heavy sprinkle of kosher salt.

It’s a perfect lunch and there is absolutely nothing more satisfying than this. With all of summer’s tomatoes at their peak right now, it’s just so easy to make something so delicious, so quickly. Tomatoes truly are the best and life’s most tasty canvas, and my favorite summer ingredient by far.

Is it too much in saying that I’ve made myself this sandwich for lunch now three days in a row? I can’t stop, and won’t stop.

It’s a very serious deal if you don’t know.  It’s the intensely juicy, tangy, creamy, slighty salty, aromatic, wet combination that just gets you, takes you somewhere new, and leaves you waiting and wondering when would be a good time to consume another. Perhaps 45 minutes after you’ve had your first one.

If this doesn’t set up a summer day for happiness, I don’t know what will.

Slightly toast that bread, slather it away with some mayonnaise, provide some thick center cut slices out of your tomatoes, sprinkle your Maldon or Kosher salt, and call it what you will, it’s just ridiculous. Warm toasty bread with cold tomatoes. Again, here I go with simple contrasts in food and eating. When hot and cold collide, literally at the molecular level, there is nothing better. It’s the same thought of a hot berry crumble with some cold vanilla bean ice cream. It’s much of the same, can’t get enough, back in for more, food LOVE, we all know well.

Above all though, it’s a sandwich that brings with it a philosophy and rule that everyone should live by in the month of August. And that is, to simply eat as many tomato mayo sandwiches that you can possibly stand. And if not only in August, I sure by hope throughout these tomato slaving, summer months.

It hasn’t been difficult abiding by this rule by any means, I tell you.

It’s a beautiful rule, and I simply won’t get enough, ever.

And to wash it all down, a tart blackberry lemonade lager.

What could be more perfect than this meal?

All you will need: blackberries, lemons, some sugar, and a few beers. Yum.

Just puree your berries in a food processor or blender and then force the puree through a fine mesh sieve. This provides a perfect base for a drink. Dollop a spoonful of the blackberry mixture at the bottom of your glasses, add some freshly squeezed lemonade, top it off with a some generous pours of your favorite lager, and then serve it with a garnish of some plump blackberries or lemon slices.  An effervescent, delightful, and refreshing summer drink.

I feel like I am screaming summer. Anyone with me?

Cheers!

16 Comments leave one →
  1. August 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Those tomatoes look delicious!

2. August 18, 2011 11:01 pm

What a lovely blog you have. So glad to have come across it via Foodgawker. Will check in on your lovely creations and even more mouthwatering props regularly now.

3. August 19, 2011 1:09 am

I love the refreshingly cool blackberry you got here. I’m always craving for those blackberries however they are made of.

4. August 19, 2011 7:41 am

Oh my gosh that sandwich looks divine. Isn’t awesome that something as simple as a tomatoes can make such a great sandwich!?!

We just started following your blog, cannot wait for more recipes!

Love,

5. Teresa permalink
    August 19, 2011 9:59 am

i love how this drink enables me to drink beer with a straw. cant wait to try it!

6. August 19, 2011 1:06 pm

Yadi-They were delicious, thank you!

Sukaina- And now I have discovered a great blog because of it too!! So thank you! You’re very kind, much appreciated.

Fudo- Thank you!

Teresa- Go get some fun straws and drink up! We LOVE beer over here too.

Thanks!

7. August 21, 2011 7:37 am

wow. i’m in an heirloom tomato state of mind and this post made me swoon. this is my first visit to your blog & it’s just lovely. i’ll be back. :)

8. August 21, 2011 10:45 am

Tami,

Appreciating your visit and kind words over here, thank you so much! I hope that your state of mind brings you lots of inspiration and comfort within the results of your creations. Heirlooms are so so special aren’t they? Very excited to pop over to your beautiful site now more often too. Many thanks girl!

9. August 21, 2011 11:32 am

Tomato and mayo sandwiches are also my favorite summer food! I could (and practically do) eat them every day of summer!! Sometimes I add some sliced avocado…heaven. Beautiful photos!

10. Tricia Campo permalink
    August 22, 2011 1:35 am

I love your site. Reading your blog and seeing the tomato and mayo sandwiches reminds me of my younger years and eating a tomato sandwich with my father who grew tomatoes in our backyard garden. Thanks for triggering fond memories of Poppi.

11. August 25, 2011 6:48 pm

What a display of images! I’m overloaded on obsessing over your photos, so stunning and gorg! I’m subscribing toot sweet and would love to feature you on my blog. Thanks for the great post and your hard work.

12. October 13, 2012 6:29 am

All of this is so fresh, bright and beautiful!

Trackbacks